Friday, February 15, 2008

Poems

THE FARM
When I first met my husband
I was charmed
By the romantic notion
He'd grown up on a farm
And had worked the land
With his dad by hand
He'd had cereal for breakfast
With fresh cream from cows
Before doing the chores
And feeding the sows
Big dinners at noon were common
With pot roasts and pies
Early to bed and early to rise
Monday through Sunday
Outside, in all kinds of weather
Planting and harvesting
May through September
Never bored, I supposed
Always a task or something to do
A life that I knew
I'd have loved for myself
Or, at least, I thought I knew
But I didn't know
I didn't really understand
What it meant to "walk beans"
Without machines
In the heat of the day
And the physical work they did
Whether hauling in crops
Or stacking up hay
And the worry over weather
That each farmer can say
Is in his mind, day after day
The long hours of brawn
Sometimes until dawn
Of harvesting the nation's grains
Before it snows or rains
Just one day set aside for fun
Saturday night in town
To eat, bowl or see a film
And when the town shut down
It was back to the work of the farm
My husband couldn't wait
To separate from the farm
And enter the world of business
Which was fine with me
A city girl, you see
But now that we are back
In the country
Close to the old home-place
The charm and romance of the farm
Is seeping back into our souls
Slowly by drops
As we see the rows of crops
With new life beginning....
And searing sunsets over beanfields
That make our steps stop
And take a longer look
And we are at peace....
And now my husband, in spring and fall
Joins his brothers in the yearly call
To come back and work on the farm
To sew the seeds and reep the harvest
Once again
And now, the boy who left the farm
Has renewed moments of joy
For the farm really never left the boy.





2 comments:

Blog of Innocence said...

Gretta,

This is a magnificent poem. Probably one of the best poems I've read of yours. The rhythm flows nicely from one stanza to the next and the reader never gets the feeling of sentimentality. You are being honest and you are being yourself. Your honest expression of your love for your friend, without pretensions, is beautiful and sacred.

Chris

Blog of Innocence said...

"I shall never see again
Those things we saw together
In quite a similar way,"

My favorite line. Your love for your best friend brims in your poety.