Friday, February 15, 2008

Books

I highly recommend the book I am now reading called "The Importance of Living"....the noble art of leaving things undone by Lin Yutang. This is the book I have been looking for all of my life, a profound read about how to enjoy your life....of which we only have ONE! This is a "thoughty" book that I am reading a little at a time so that I can underline, think about and absorb the enlightening thoughts therein.


Web Sites for Book Ideas

www.whatshouldIread next.com
*Type in name of book you enjoyed and you'll receive a list of similar suggestions.

http://www.literature-map.com/
*Enter name of favorite author and see what shows up!

http://www.goodreads.com/
*A book lovers community and a place to share favorites.

http://www.novelaction.com/
* On line swap ( The cost for this is $25.00 per year, and I just sent off my first five books in exchange for five that I picked from their fiction list. Great idea, I think, to get rid of all those books you have read or don't want, and get ones you do want to read!) They send the books to you book-rate which is usually about $4-5.

These websites gotten from May Issue of "Real Simple"


Books I am Reading Now:

"Farewell, My Subaru" by Doug Fine, (new book, 2008) This book is, by far, the funniest book I have read in decades! It is the true story of a guy who buys a small ranch in New Mexico to "go green" without any experience of living off the land. Not only does it have some good insights about this subject, it is a "laugh out loud book!" My husband will attest to this as he was trying to go to sleep last night while I was on the other side of the bed laughing hysterically. Don't miss this book!


"Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a woman who is a present day political voice for women in Muslim countries. It is her story of being raised in a strict Muslim family in Somalia. She escapes a forced marriage and seeks asylum in the Neatherlands where she earns a college degree in Political Science. She continues to fight for the rights of Muslim women around the world, and is in constant danger from radical Muslim groups. This book is an "Eye Opener," and presents a real life picture of the plight of Muslim women today.

I have come late in life to the joy of reading John Updike. He has such style, humor and insight that he is now one of my favorite authors. I am presently reading, "Due Considerations: Essays & Criticisms" 2007, and I especially like his essay, "A Case for Books" where he makes the argument to keep "reading" in published book form. I agree with him in so many ways; how could I ever carry a computer with me instead of a "flood book" to read if there is a flood, or a long waiting period at the Dr. office? Updike gives four excellent reasons not to turn over books to pocket PC's and computers. Here they are:


1. THE BOOK AS FURNITURE: to decorate with, making you look smart with a bookshelf of important looking books.


2. THE BOOK AS SENSUAL PLEASURE: "Smaller than a breadbox, bigger than a T.V. remote,
the average book fits into the human hand with a seductive nesting, a kiss of texture, whether
of cover cloth, glazed jacket, or flexible paperback."

3. THE BOOK AS SOUVENIR: "One's collection comes to symbolize the contents of one's mind."

4. BOOK AS BALLAST: " As movers and the moved both know, books are heavy freight, the
weight of refrigerators and sofas broken up into cardboard boxes. They make us think twice
about changing addresses."












No comments: