Thursday, February 14, 2008

Gretta's Musings

I cannot help but shout from the rooftop that my first novel of fiction, "To See a Sundog" is out in print, and can be ordered through Amazon.com! This is such a thrill for me; as a passionate writer, what could be a better dream come true! If you read it, I hope you like it! I plan to donate all the author proceeds to "Second Harvest," an organization to feed the hungry in America, and will talk more about this organization under "New Things" on my Blog Menu. I also invite you to visit the Poetry section to read the poem I wrote a long time ago about The Farm, and think that this poem inspired me to write the novel that I did. I am working with my young inspiring friend, Chris, to attach the hardware so that you will be able to hear me read some of my poetry, and perhaps some of my novel right here. Chris keeps me moving forward in this hi tech world we live in. I am half way through writing my second novel which takes place in New York City, and will be putting some of it now in the "My Novel" section. I am thrilled to be published, but the writing of the book continues to be my real and true joy!

Every morning after I get up, I enjoy my first cup of coffee on my back porch while listening to the sounds of birds and admiring the flowers in our garden and fields, both planted and wild. It has been a habit at this tranquil time to read a book of substance; usually a book that deals with the "great" questions of life, and a text that makes me think. I have always done my best thinking in the morning! ....... A friend of mine (a young fella of just 28) has recently put me on to a book that he too is reading (he is wise beyond his years!) called "The Importance of Living"-the noble art of leaving things undone, by Lin Yutang. And now, by page 112, I think I have found the book I have been looking for all of my life. Or perhaps, at my "ripe" age, I am finally able to hear and appreciate what Lin Yutang is saying. ........He is an advocate of the doctrine of "half and half," creating a balance in life between action and inaction. It seems that we of the Western culture, which I have come to realize has its many flaws, are out of balance, driven by action to succeed, make money, be recognized, enjoy privalage etc. etc. etc. to the detriment of the part of us that seeks and craves inaction with the opportunity to sit and think, enjoy the quiet, revel in nature and be at peace. There is a song by Li Mi-an in Lin Yutang's book on page 112 that speaks to this philosophy and I would like to quote a few lines here.

"Halfway in life is man's best state, when slackened pace allows him ease; a wide world lies halfway' twixt heaven and earth; to live halfway between the town and land.....be half a scholar and half a squire, and half in business; half as gentry live...."

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to live a more tranquil life...this guy has the roadmap! I hope to quote more of Lin Yutang in other parts of my BLOG as I am learning and absorbing so much from his thoughts and words.

Springtime!!! Ah, such a beautiful time of year! I can't remember a more spectacular spring season with its colorful tulips, flowering trees, green grasses, robins building nests (one in a tree right outside our front window) and a freshness in the air that gives me added energy and more happiness in my day. I only have to sit on my back deck with my morning coffee and listen to the chirping birds to know that this is going to be one darn good "sunshinny day!"

But all seasons have their ying and their yang, and for me, this season is no exception. On Thursday of last week, I received an early call to say that a very dear friend of ours (my husband and I) had passed away at the age of only fifty-seven. A shock to us, and to his family; a man so loved and alive, now gone...gone for good.

As we know, death has no season of its own, but comes at any time of the year. Once again, how are we to understand and accept this wrenching away from us, a person who has been so much a part of our lives? It is the thing that I despise most about this thing called life.

In trying to find some comfort, I perused the grief books at Barnes & Noble and came across "Transcending Loss" by Ashley Davis Prend. She says that, "death doesn't end a relationship; it simply forges a new type of relationship..one based not on physical presence, but on memory, spirit and love." I like the concept of this; that we need not let go of the people we have loved in life; that we can continue a spiritual relationship with them, and that they can be part of our life in a different way. I think that this book will tell me how to do that.

One of the poems in the poem section was written by me when another dear friend of mine passed away. Writing has always been a healing activity for me, and writing this poem helped me to say what I felt about my friend.

Now I will go back to my deck, sit in the sunshine, listen to the birds and admire the springtime....nature being the best healer of all.




3 comments:

ryou [LOVE+MUSIC] said...

Hi, Gretta!
This is Reiko from Japan.
I'm really happy that you have your blog.
It's cool!! It's fun!

Blog of Innocence said...

Gretta,

You show yourself to be a natural blogger . . . so suited are your thoughts to the occasion of daily musings and contemplations that I can see this blog becoming really popular. You've always been a story-teller and wonderful conversationalist and here you bring those natural abilities into the blog-written page. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The line you've quoted about "spirit, memory" is true of my relationship to my mother since her death. About us, I feel as though we've gotten out of touch. Feel free to call. And don't forget you can also write comments back to your commentators on your own blog. See my blog if you don't know what I mean.

Gretta said...

Lethe,
Thank you for your comments that encourage me so much in my writing, and in continuing this BLOG. I am so glad that the quote about "spirit relationships" resonated with you, and that this is the kind of relationship you now have with your beautiful, artistic mother. She would so love to read all of your creative writing, and would love to see your art! I am glad that I can do that and appreciate it as she would. You are the very best friend! See you tonight for dinner.